I am happy to be flexible and work with you as you need, coming up with an individualised plan that works for your family, and stepping back as your baby grows and you feel more settled and confident about managing each day's demands on your own. Often 6-8 weeks of support is a good starting point, typically perhaps a few days each week initially and then reducing as the weeks pass.
I will help you in whichever ways you feel will be most beneficial, and aim to leave you rested and confident.
Some typical areas I might be able to help you in are: (Watch my video illustrating what I do here)
- Practical baby care- helping you learn how to bath your baby / change a nappy / supporting you with feeding and referral to expert help if needed / caring for baby while you rest / sharing baby calming techniques / knowing what is normal or when to seek help
- Providing you an opportunity to debrief following the birth
- Offering support and reassurance to you and your partner as you both learn new roles
- Caring for siblings to allow you time to get to know your new baby / take a rest or shower etc, or conversely, caring for your baby whilst you enjoy some time with their big brother or sister
- Running errands e.g. shopping trips or accompanying you to appointments if desired
- Light housework- cleaning, tidying, laundry, dishes, ironing, hoovering etc
- Cooking- preparing nutritious snacks, meals and extra for the freezer too!
- Providing information about local support groups
- Offering basic babywearing guidance
I recommend a three hour visit as a minimum, preferably between 09:30 and 14:30, so I can be home for my own children whenever possible. I prefer to work Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, but please talk to me if this doesn't work for your family needs.
I am happy to travel up to about 10 miles from my home in Knaphill, Surrey. This includes:
Other areas may be considered on an individual basis, please do enquire!
It is a great idea, wherever possible, to meet up with you for an hour or so before you have the baby, so we can ensure we are happy to work together and discuss the finer details! I am happy to visit you at home free of charge to chat things through and make some provisional plans.
I may also able to offer 'emergency' care, subject to my availability, to families who feel they need immediate, additional support with their newborn, whatever the circumstances.